Saturday, 10 March 2012

Beware! The Rail of Sale...

I went shopping for a pair of outdoor trousers, breeks or pants this morning. Something lighter than my Rugged Mountain pants and heavier than my Kazoo's. Tisos was a let down. It was pretty empty. Half the stands and rails were gone and all they had in worth looking at were new Rugged Mountain pants and something or other from Montane about the same weight as my Kazoo's. Harrumph!

Now that Footprints have gone and my patience doesn't stretch to another drive to Cotswolds at Silverburn I wandered around aimlessly and found myself uncontrollably drawn towards the sale rail....

I poked about and fondled some nice looking tops (there were no trousers on sale) and then I came across something that caught my eye....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It fit well, the price was good, it gets great reviews and after my recent positive experience with the Montura softshell top I thought I'd give it a bash.

Still looking for some decent kecks though.

6 comments:

  1. A good bash that. As you say: "one can never have too many bits off kit".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless the wife is listening...then I just whisper it quietly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disappointing that Footprints is gone, sadly too many independent retailers are going (in many locations) we are left with chain stores and their limited inventories. Are internet shops the cause or the solution?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a sad day when Footprints shut. They were good guy's that worked in there, knowledgable (i.e. they actually used the kit they sold) and although the range they had was small it was good stuff. Not the crap that the mass market seems to demand.

    "Are internet shops the cause or the solution?"

    This I'm not sure of, but it seems thats all we are left with these days. Which is a shame because you can't beat actually getting your hands on the kit. Feeling the fabrics and seeing the workmanship and speaking to somone with a bit of knowledge before you part with your money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aye Footprints is a massive loss. You're bang on though, it's tough to spend decent money on something without a hands on test. The problem is people like to leverage low internet prices,so they'll go to the shop and then come away and buy it online. No-one can support that in a business. Hence the increase in interest in outdoor blogs with gear reviews, because people need some real world usage advice from people who actually do the same things that they do. Big changes in how we go about choosing and buying I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of blogs that way before but it makes sense. One thing that never ceases to amaze me are the amount of internet shops that put zero effort in to selling their product. All the decent independants are gone or going and we are left with the big chains so we all go to the net. Yet all the net stores have on their sites usually, is the pic and blurb lifted straight from the manufacturer! That makes them like the big chain almost. But then, as you say they don't have to if we do it all for them.

    I can only think of 2 intenet shops off the top of my head that actualy ut some effort in and thats Alpkit (but its their own designed product) and Bob at Backpackinglight.co.uk.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers