Sunday, 10 July 2011

Whose a clever girl then?

After a few years of digging my trusty old and rusty BMW 3 series out of the snow at least a few times every winter. After a few years of standing at the back of it trying to dodge raindrops whilst getting changed out of wet gear into dry clothes after coming down off the hills. After getting fed up paying someone else to fix it and service it I started to want something else to drive. Not something new as I find pretty much all new cars boring and characterless. It had to tick all the boxes above and be suitable for driving to and from work as well as the hills when conditions are difficult.

So after deciding carefully what I wanted I went out and sent my old but luxurious beamer to the big scrapyard in the sky and went out and bought a big old noisy Landy. And here she is below...magnificent!

Photobucket

Photobucket

It didn't take long before she was christened "Daphne" and I'm still grinning every time I get behind the wheel. I've already slept in the back whilst tucked up away off road and up out of sight. Kind of takes the best bits from car camping and wild camping! Both Louise and I have been able to get changed into dry non hill clothes whilst sniggering at all the other folk struggling in the rainswept car park as the wind howled down Glen Coe. I've even had the stove on for cuppas in the back there while I change my shoes. There'll be no more trying find a cafe that's open late when I come off the hills again for me!

I was a little bit surprised though when the postman delivered this the other day.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I mean how many other cars do you know of that can do a wee bit of Internet shopping by themselves?

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic hillwalkers motors altogether! Excellent choice. My mate Andy's got one and it's taken us everywhere over the last couple of winters.

    The other bonus is that you get your money's worth out of all your expensive down insulated clothing on the drive home...if the heater in his is anything to go by.

    ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised I haven't met more hillwalking types who drive one! So far the heater on "Daphne" seems to be ok. Saying that, it hasn't been tested in the winter yet...

    oh aye, the "mystery shopper" has since come forward...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daphne rocks, can't wait to meet her! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll meet her soon enough mate.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers