Thursday, 24 March 2011

A trip down under 1

Well I've arrived safe and sound in Woodend albeit almost a full day late thanks to lady luck and Qantas.

My flight down to London went without a hitch apart from when the check in lady asked if I had a Visa for entering Australia? Eh? I lived there and worked there for best part of a year previously and now I need a visa to just go on a fortnights holiday to see my wife!!! After she stopped me panicking and charged 25 quid to issue me one, I was on my way.

Photobucket
The plane that took me to Hong Kong and then broke down

I arrived in Hong Kong feeling as best one can after sitting on a plane for something like 11 hours. It was a very turbulent flight for several hour long periods, usually starting just when they had just brought me my piping hot dinner. It was just supposed to be a stop to refuel but we all had to get off and go through security before reboarding the plane. There was some initial confusion when they realised that all my boarding passes were dated 19th instead of the actual date I was leaving Hong Kong. I then got to the departure gate for the second time to be informed that there was a problem with the plane. I won't go into too many details on here as I've already stated elsewhere that I will be making a formal complaint. I'm not pissed off too much at the mechanical breakdown that occurred (these things sometimes happen, I should know from my maintenance background) its more the way that the Qantas staff in Hong Kong dealt with us. I went through security no less than 7 times that day and found myself receiving and giving out information 3rd hand and by word of mouth. Twice I blew up at their staff and had to tell them to get on their Tannoy and make a proper announcement. Anyway the plane was duly fixed and we left some 14 hours later.

After arriving I spent a few days getting over the jet lag, getting to know Woodend and visiting Louise's Sister Steph, her husband Craig and their two poodle puppy's Sweep and Pepper.

Photobucket

I'm told that that scary looking character up there is just a garden spider and not to worry about him!! Well as long as he stay's out there, we might just get along fine...maybe.

Yesterday we went into Melbourne to get Louise's Biometrics done for her Visa application in the morning then spent an enjoyable day seeing the city's sights. After a quick glance at the map I couldn't not go visit Banana Alley!! We did some shopping, had lunch in the Block Arcade, some more walking around to see the sights such as Federation Square and eventually finished off with a few beers and pizza while enjoying the view from the South Bank.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Beer and pizza with a view


Today we posted off the Visa application and tonight it's roast lamb Aussie style on the table for dinner followed by some drinks out with some of Louise's friends. I've seen the leg of lamb as it went into the oven and I'm drooling already.

6 comments:

  1. I hope you've managed to put the stress of getting to be with your wife behind you. Where's the photie of the dugs? You shouldn't tease us like that!! And that spider is a stoater - Jamie'll be wetting his pants at it ;-)

    Looking forward to the next instalment

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! < shudders >

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice spider I think you should hunt for a big one. You'll love Auz it's a brilliant place

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll get some dug photies Elaina don't worry, we're off to take them for a walk this evening.

    Phill, nae danger! I'm a big feartie the same as Jamie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a former melburnian who travels once a year or so to Melbourne I have experienced similar issues in Hong Kong, both mechanical delays on planes and polite but not very helpful service from the ground staff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'ver spoken to a few folk now who all seem to have had similar experiences there. I reckon the next time Louise and I are going over to visit we will just pay the extra for better connections...maybe fly Emirates or somone else.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers