Monday, 13 April 2009

New toy's and new plans.

Last week my new tarp courtesy of Wayne at Team IO



I have been toying with the idea of 'Tarping' for a wee while now but never had the balls to do it. I've been using the yellow fluro guys, line locs and a custom footprint from Wayne on my wee Terra Nova Laser Competition (a tent you'll see a lot on here) for a few years now and they've all been great. The service he provides and products he sells are well made with good attention to detail, which is why my first Tarp came from him.

At the weekend there myself and Louise went up to my Gran's caravan at Rosneath for some well earned peace and quiet. One of the things I wanted to do was practise setting up the tarp in various shapes and configurations. Whether it's a tent or a tarp, experience and common sense tells you that this is something you deffinitely do not want to be practising on the side of a mountain for real in a hoolie!





After a little faffing to begin with I found I could get nice tight pitch very easily and quickly. So far the 'Flying V' shape feels right for a decent amount of protection and a good view. It was also easy to adjust how high or low the angle this shape was pitched for differing weather conditions.





I quite liked the 'pyramid' shape as well, it felt surprisingly cosy getting out of the breeze. I must admit though that I was just making it up as I went along by this point. I'm half tempted by the Tarp CD that Bob C sells.





I'm starting to get a little excited, and if I'm honest a wee bitty nervous of the propect of a night under the tarp. I reckon I could happily carry it in my daypack for the next few trips for lunch stops until I'm confident enough for an overnighter.



It'll have to be somewhere picturesque though ;o)

6 comments:

  1. Go for it! Been tarping for a long time and its not as scary as you'd think. In a tarp you're definately more exposed but your footprint is so small you're far less restricted in where you can pitch. This means you can use the lie of the land to best effect. Exposed if condictions allow but sheltered if not. Got to confess though I do mostly use a bivvy bag and, horses for courses, would choose a tent if I knew in advance I was going to get a bad deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pleasantly surprised at just how easy it was to get it pitched neatly with some decent cover when it was low to the ground.

    The Laser Comp will still be top choice for most trips but I like the scarily small package the Tarp & Rab SZ comes in at with a handfull of the wee carbon pegs off the Laser Comp.

    My biggest fear would be the wind changing direction. I have now, the beginnings of plans forming for several extremely light trips.....as soon as there is a weather window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dirty weekend at Granny's caravan, eh? I'm disgusted! ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course not...it was purely a trip to test the tarp in the relative safety of a caravan park ;o)

    How's Tracy and Wee Alexander?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing fine. Both waiting for me to sort their lunch out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright!

    That's for Gordy and the Wendy house above :o)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers